When was the last time someone asked you to recite your ABC’s? They don’t because you’re no longer in elementary school. Professionals are expected to know their alphabets, as well as be effective communicators who are experienced and knowledgeable far beyond identifying letters of the alphabet.
Consider the following questions:
- Do you consider yourself a professional woman?
- Do you have standout traits that others notice?
- Do you know the basic formula for a professional image that sells?
- Is image even necessary as a professional?
- Is there something to the adage, “Dress for Success” that may relate to career advancement, first impression, or how an image can influence others?
As a women’s empowerment speaker and coach, I’ve presented on this topic on many occasions and find it to be a subject that is typically well received. However, sometimes the idea of "professional image" is seen as a violation of individual rights and preference. Some women have strong beliefs that they should be able to wear whatever they want and be accepted for who they are. I can relate to that school of thought as well.
Unfortunately, and fortunately, there are standards for what’s acceptable or appropriate in every industry. It's comforting to know that work attire is a bit more relaxed today than 20 years ago. Yet dress code policies are still relevant in the workplace.
The ABC’s to a Professional Image that Sells goes beyond the standard dress policy. The ABCs includes "A" for Appearance. But there's much more to a professional image than appearance.
Expect to see future blog posts as I share further on the “ABC” formula to ensure this foundational skill is as commonplace as knowing your alphabets.
And check out this Dress = Success article.
I’d love to know your thoughts on a professional image that sells. Please provide feedback to the following questions.
- Do you believe image matters as a professional? If yes, why? If no, why not?
- Do you have an idea of what B and C represent for a professional image that sells?
Please share this post. Write your comment or questions below and I will be happy to reply.
Subscribe here for my blog, and get the latest information, tips, and free gifts.
~ Pat B. Freeman, Empowerment Coach & Vision-Building Expert ~
Helping turn your Inspiration-to-Action and your Passion-to-Profits!